Get a true taste of Thai culture with a unique homestay experience. Travel into the hills near Chiang Mai and be welcomed by the residents of Mae Kampong village. Explore the village, chat with the friendly hosts and sleep in a typical family home.
Experience typical village life
Live like a local, helping to prepare a traditional dinner and sleeping in a family home.
Explore the Thai countryside
Travel to remote Mae Kampong village and trek through the surrounding forests and fields, far off the tourist trail.
Connect with the local community
Spend time with Mae Kampong’s residents, sharing stories and learning about their background and daily life.
Chiang Mai - Mae Kampong
Chiang Mai – Mae Kampong (50.3 km): 1.30 hr
Depart for Mae Kampong Village (1.30 hr), driving through the picturesque countryside of Chiang Mai. The village is nestled 1,300m above sea level and has a cool climate all year long. En route, a stop is made at a local market to select ingredients for today’s dinner.
Continue to Mae Kampong and be met by villagers upon arrival. Then take a stroll through the community forest, passing tea and coffee fields to a refreshing waterfall. Return to the village for a simple lunch prepared by the village hosts and relax with a traditional Thai massage. As the evening approaches, join the host family in preparing food during unique cultural exchange over dinner.
Overnight in Mae Kampong.
Mae Kampong - Chiang Mai
Mae Kampong – Chiang Mai (50.3 km): 1.04 hr
[PB020085] A hot breakfast will be served with your hosts, while the morning mist is being swept away from the valley by the cool mountain wind. Take a walk around the village to see the processing of fermented tea leaves and some products which are handmade in the village. After a last cup of local coffee, head back towards Chiang Mai, stopping on the way at San Kamphaeng hotsprings, a popular recreation area for the local Thai people. The water has a temperature in excess of 100ºC and attempts have even been made to harness this energy.
Our Services include:
- Homestay accommodation with local breakfast.
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner).
- Tours and transfers by private air-conditioned vehicles.
- English speaking local guide (for other languages supplements applied).
- All entrance fees as indicated in itinerary.
- Tips for driver
- Drinking water and cold towel
Our Services do not include:
- International and domestic flights (quoted separately).
- Meals other than mentioned above.
- Camera/video entrance fees.
- Personal expenses (drinks, laundry, telephone, tips etc).
- Travel insurance
- Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above.
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
De’Kashor Elephant Home Hilltribe Village ( Join )
- Visit and stay overnight in a traditional Karen hilltribe village.
- Learn secrets of elephant care from an experienced local expert.
- Get up-close and personal with elephants while bathing them
- Knowledge to the test while caring for
- Bathing elephants in a beautiful natural environment.
Multisport - Ultimate Southern Thailand
- Canoe down scenic Sok River
- Kayak the mangroves of Ao Thalane
- Cycle rural villages of Klong Thom
- Snorkel around tropical islands
- Taste iconic dishes of Krabi
- WWII history of Kanchanburi
- Visit Kamphangphet Historical Park
- Nature at Lan Sang and Taksin National Park
- Ancient pagodas and churches of Mawlamyine
- Circle train ride through Yangon
Northern Thailand Multi-Sport Explorer
- Indulge in traditional spa treatments
- Swim and kayak at Mae Ngat Lake Reservoir
- Visit Thailand’s famous botanical gardens
- Pick tea leaves and learn about the Lisu Hilltribes
- Hike the monks trail up to Doi Suthep Mountain
Thailand - Hip and Chic Tour
- Dine at Bangkok’s chicest tables
- Explore Chiang Mai by Segway
- Discover Thai modern art
- Relax on spectacular Phuket
- Stay in stylish and hip hotels
Mini-Multisport Chiang Mai Adventure
- Cycle over Mae Ngat Dam
- Relaxing dip in ‘Sticky Waterfalls’
- Visit stunning Wat Ban Den
- Trek and homestay at Huay Nam Dung
- Cruise on a traditional bamboo raft