Visit a traditional Karen hilltribe village in the wild mountains surrounding Chiang Mai and learn about their fascinating and intimate connection with nature. Meet with a traditional elephant caretaker and learn how they develop close bonds with these majestic animals. Then, put this knowledge to the test while caring for and bathing elephants in a beautiful natural environment.
Visit a traditional Karen hilltribe village
In the wild mountains surrounding Chiang Mai.
Learn about their fascinating
Intimate connection with nature.
Meet with a traditional elephant caretaker
Learn how they develop close bonds with these majestic animals.
Chiang Mai – Pa Kao Lam Karen Village
Chiang Mai – Pa Kao Lam Karen Village (110 km): 2.30 hours
We start from your hotel at between 07:00 and 07:30 AM. heading to the North. We stop at Mae Malai to visit the colorful and exotic local market. This is where the local people and the various hill tribes meet and trade their goods, mostly fruits, vegetables and flowers, and here we purchase food and vegetable for the next 2 days.
We continue to Pa Kao Lam Karen Village, where we arrive before lunch. The drive from Chiang Mai to Pa Kao Lam Karen Village takes about 3 hours. Firstly, we change into Karen clothes and have lunch at the village. After lunch, the guide tells about the habits of the elephant, behaviors and daily routine, anatomy, biology and how to get close to the elephant. The guide then introduces the elephant keeper, who explains about the elephant, observing them when they live in the real jungle.
We trek for about 50 minutes from the village into the jungle, the elephant keeper will give you more information about what you need to know while walking. We meet the elephant on the way, and the elephant keeper shows you how to get close to the elephant. It is your turn next. Touching the elephants, instructions with basic word to communicate with them and feed them to make the elephants feel familiar. Then, walk with the elephant in the jungle, to the sunny field beside the river. The elephant enjoys bathing and playing in the river, and we bath and brush the elephants. Time to cook you own lunch in the jungle, an outdoor lunch taught by the guide. It is now time to say goodbye to the elephants and we trek back to the village.
We arrive back in the village in the late afternoon, when the villager come back from the rice farming and gardening. This is also a good chance for you to witness the charming hill tribe lifestyle and view some local activities such as weaving and local cooking.
We enjoy dinner and evening at leisure before bedtime.
Overnight at hilltribe accommodation.
Pa Kao Lam Karen Village – Chiang Mai
Pa Kao Lam Karen Village – Chiang Mai (110 km): 2.30 hours
Wake up early morning. Stroll around the village, meet the villager to learn about the daily routine of
the Karen people before going to work outside. Have breakfast in the village.
After breakfast, meet the elephant keeper and the elephants at the village. Here is a chance to feed, interact and play with the elephants. Learn more about traditional elephant herbs and how to make organic herbal dietary supplements for the elephants. Then it's time to enjoy bathing the elephants in the river, followed by local lunch. Spend a bit more time with them before taking them back to the jungle to say farewell to them.
Leave the village in the late afternoon and arrive back in Chiang Mai around 18:00.
Our services include:
- Hilltribe accommodation with shared facilities
- Full board meal (1 breakfast, 2 lunches and 1 dinner)
- Join transportation by 4WD
- English speaking local guide
- All entrance fees and activities as indicated in itinerary
Our services do not include:
- International and domestic flights (quoted separately)
- Meals other than mentioned above
- Camera/video entrance fees
- Personal expenses (drinks, laundry, telephone, tips etc)
- Travel insurance
- Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Multisport - Ultimate Southern Thailand
- Canoe down scenic Sok River
- Kayak the mangroves of Ao Thalane
- Cycle rural villages of Klong Thom
- Snorkel around tropical islands
- Taste iconic dishes of Krabi
- WWII history of Kanchanburi
- Visit Kamphangphet Historical Park
- Nature at Lan Sang and Taksin National Park
- Ancient pagodas and churches of Mawlamyine
- Circle train ride through Yangon
Northern Thailand Multi-Sport Explorer
- Indulge in traditional spa treatments
- Swim and kayak at Mae Ngat Lake Reservoir
- Visit Thailand’s famous botanical gardens
- Pick tea leaves and learn about the Lisu Hilltribes
- Hike the monks trail up to Doi Suthep Mountain
Thailand - Hip and Chic Tour
- Dine at Bangkok’s chicest tables
- Explore Chiang Mai by Segway
- Discover Thai modern art
- Relax on spectacular Phuket
- Stay in stylish and hip hotels
Mini-Multisport Chiang Mai Adventure
- Cycle over Mae Ngat Dam
- Relaxing dip in ‘Sticky Waterfalls’
- Visit stunning Wat Ban Den
- Trek and homestay at Huay Nam Dung
- Cruise on a traditional bamboo raft
Cycling- Chiang Mai Sweet Escape
- Explore Wiang Kum Kam
- Cycle through dirt roads
- Kayak around Mae Ngat Lake
- Experience the friendliness of the locals
- Lunch at a raft house with scenic views