Experience a truly meaningful village life homestay in Sukau. With direct benefits to the local communities, learn all about wildlife conservation efforts, make local handicrafts from coconut husks and learn all about sustainable fishing and seeding for a truly memorable stay along the Kinabatangan River.
Meaningful homestay in Sukau
Gain a deeper understanding of the local traditions of the Orang Sungai including handicrafts, sustainable fishing and conservation efforts.
Lunch with local hosts
Prepare an authentic Malay lunch using traditional recipes with local villagers.
Support local forestry conservation efforts
Get hands-on in collecting and bagging seedlings to help spread and recolonise habitats with native plant species.
ARRIVE – SUKAU
Cruise times: PM – 16:00, EVE: 20:00 Cruise duration will depend on wildlife spotting: approx. 2 hours Lodges in Sukau (Sukau Rainforest Lodge, Borneo Nature Resort) boat crossing 5min and drive to Sukau Homestay 5 min. Lodges in Abai: Kinabatangan Wetlands Resort (1h30min by boat to Sukau and drive to Sukau Homestay 5 min.
Run by locals since 1998 and headed by a couple who are passionate about wildlife and environmental issues, take part in meaningful programmes offered including Orangutan conservation and more.
Arrive in Sukau Village and meet with hosts. The homestay is situated along the Kinabatangan River, a fantastic place to feel the amazing rainforest and also an opportunity to get involved with local activities and gain insight into village lives.
At 12:30 this afternoon, enjoy a traditional lunch.
Learn how to make traditional handicrafts or and play some popular traditional games.
At 16:00, leave for an evening cruise along the river and witness the rich wildlife in their natural habitat. One of the world’s richest ecosystems, the Kinabatangan River is the home of Orangutans, proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, crocodiles, and many others.
After the cruise relax by the river before dinner and then tonight head out again on an evening cruise to spot nocturnal wildlife.
Overnight in Sukau.
Cruise times: AM – 06:00, PM – 16:00 Cruise duration will depend on wildlife spotting: approx. 2 hours
This morning at 06:00, rise early in the morning along with the birds and other animals of the river for a cruise.
Return to the homestay and enjoy a delicious breakfast before leaving for the next activity. Choose to go on a jungle trekking in nature or learn new skills in a cooking class.
After lunch leave for a river cruise or visit the Gomantong Caves an intricate cave system located in a virgin forest (entrance fee not included).
Return to the homestay.
After dinner, learn all about the art behind intricate movements from a traditional dance with the villagers.
Overnight in Sukau.
SUKAU - SANDAKAN
Sukau – Sandakan: (130km) 2h30min
Breakfast at the homestay this morning.
Join a conservation activity, seeding collection for a nursery, a method to reforest the area collecting native seeds from the forest, growing them in controlled conditions in the nursery, planting them in the sedge swamp area and monitoring success. The aim is to identify native tree species that will survive to spread and recolonise its habitats.
Learn about prawn traps, this fishing method has little impact on the river and traps minimal unwanted fish.
At 14:00 after lunch, return to Sandakan for the onward flight to the next destination.
Recommended flights (not included)
AirAsia AK6499 18:30- 19:20 SDK Sandakan BKI Kota Kinabalu
Our services include:
- Accommodation at the homestay (basic, shared bathroom outside the building)
- Transportation from the homestay jetty with the homestay family vehicle from Sukau or Bilit jetty (additional fee pick-up and drop off at alternative jetties)
- Transportation to Sandakan by private vehicle.
- Meals as indicated
- Activities as mentioned
Our services do not include:
- Additional fee for pick-up and drop off at alternative jetties
- Other meals not mentioned
- Domestic flights
- Services not mentioned
- Drinks, and personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Tourism tax
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
- Sun Bear Conservation Centre
- Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre
- Wildlife on lower Kinabatangan River
- Local fishing village, Kampung Abai
- Spot firefly colonies around mangroves
Back to Nature - Ulu Muda Escape
- Discover untouched rainforests of Ulu Muda
- Up close & personal with wildlife
- Explore newly discovered limestone caves & saltlicks
- Cruise down Lake Muda
- Earth Lodge stay in the middle of dense rainforests
Insider Access - Village Homestay in Sukau
- Homestay with local Orang Sungei
- Spot wildlife of Kintabagan River
- Learn about local handicrafts
- Savour a typical village lunch
- Support forestry conservation efforts
Sabah’s Lost World Trek (Maliau Basin)
- Trek Sabah’s lost worlds
- Explore Maliau Basin Studies Centre
- See the amazing Takob Akob Fall
- Trek to seven-tied Maliau Falls
- Spot exotic wildlife
West Coast Self-Drive Tours
- Highlights of Kuala Lumpur City
- Night trek of Taman Negara rainforest
- Tea terraces of Cameron Highlands
- Heritage walk through Ipoh town
- Relax on the beaches of Langkawi
Tip Of Borneo And Rungus Longhouse Stay
- Scenic drive along the coast of Sabah
- Learn all about the Rungus People
- Overnight stay at traditional longhouse
- Visit a ‘bee smokers’ village
- Explore a local market at Tamparuli