Trek the famous and remote northern slopes of Bali. Begin with a challenging early morning climb up Mount Batur with stunning views on offer, then trek to remote Muntigunung Village and learn about the harsh living conditions before camping overnight at the beachside town of Prasi.
Sunrise trek up Mount Batur
Rise early for a challenging uphill trek to the summit of Mount Batur and be rewarded with a breathtaking sunrise.
Trek to remote Muntigunung Village
Trek the remote villages located on the northern slopes of Bali and learn about the harsh living conditions.
Camp overnight at Prasi
Relax by a bonfire, tuck-in to a seafood dinner and camp overnight at beachside town of Prasi.
Short / Middle – Batur 3 Crater Summit – Kintamani
Transfer from Ubud – Kintamani (38 km): 1 hours 30 minutesTrekking Batur : 5-6hrsDificculty : medium
This morning, wake up early and be transferred from the hotel to the starting point of the trek.
Upon arrival, complete the safety briefing for the trek from the guide. The first section of today’s trek is through the jungle before ascending up to the volcanic rocky path. The pathway is mostly uphill but there are several opportunities to stop and rest. After approximately two hours (2km) of climbing, approach the top of the main crater. This is a totally different terrain offering a wind-swept pathway with very few rocks and vegetation.
Around 06:00, while sitting at the top (1717 metres above sea level), witness the long awaited stunning sunrise over Mount Abang and Mount Agung. On clear days it is even possible to see Lombok’s Mount Rinjani in the distance across the Lombok Strait.
Tuck-in to a simple breakfast along with a hot cup of coffee or tea while enjoying the magnificent view.
Start trekking down on a small and steep path to the West slopes of Mount Batur, stop on the way to a second crater that was created from the 2001 eruption. Continue down to reach the crater that resembles a smoking cone. Take time to observe the lava field surrounding the volcano. Your last portion of the trek will be carried out across the black lava seas of sand until the finishing point at the slope of the volcano.
Upon descending to the bottom there is time for a dip in a local hot spring nearby the Lake Batur (bring swimsuits and a change of clothes) before returning to hotel in Kintamani for some time to change and pack before check-out.
Enjoy the rest of day as leisure.
Overnight in Kintamani.
Kintamani – Trunyan – Muntigunung – Prasi
Transfer Muntigunung – Prasi (53 km): 1 hour 30 minutesTrekking distance: 3 hoursDifficulty : easy
Take an early breakfast at hotel and check out after.
- Please prepare a light backpack for your personal belonging during the trekking and stay at Perasi.
- The main luggage will be transferred and kept at the next hotel.
- At Perasi camp overnight at a tent (share for two) with sleeping bag. Basic toilet available.
Today, set off on a trek from Trunyan Village to Muntigunung Village, located to the north of Lake Batur. These villages are located on the intensely arid northern slopes of Bali’s mountains with mesmerising views of Mount Agung and the island of Lombok.
With the lead of the guide, arrive at the viewpoint after an hour of walking. Be greeted with the entire caldera and views of Bali’s north coast. After a refreshment, continue to descend to the highlight of this trek, Muntigunung Village.
This area is administratively under the authority of the Karangasem regency. This high and dry area is very well-known as an undeveloped and poor area. With the nearest water source being six hours away and the terrain of rocky lava which is unsuitable for farming, the village has the harshest living conditions. With farming only possible during the rainy seasons, the people in Muntigunung Village struggle to make a living out of the land causing some of the people to become beggars in Bali.
Please note: During the walk in Muntigunung, please do not offer help in the form of money, a meal or clothing. Instead, please help the community by purchasing the local products.
After the walk, continue to drive to Prasi and enjoy an unforgettable camping experience with the guide.
Enjoy a seafood spread for dinner, relax on the beach and enjoy the bonfire.
Overnight at Prasi in camp.
Prasi – Tirtagangga – Next Destination
Difficulty : easy
Breakfast at hotel
Enjoy the early morning at leisure before being met and greeted by the adventure guide for the next experience.
Then, head to the enchanting water palace of Tirtagangga. Meaning 'water of the Gangges', this sacred water palace was built in the early twentieth century by the last king of Karangasem.
It boasts of many decorative ponds and fountains, lush plant life and natural bathing pools.
Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant.
After lunch, be transferred to the next destination.
Our services include:
- Luggage transfer
- English Speaking certified Adventure Guide
- Plenty of water per person per trekking day
- Snacks and local fruits
- Private air conditioned vehicle during transfer
- 1 first aid kit per guide
- Sightseeing tickets and zone entrance fees where mentioned in the itinerary
- Trekking permit and conservation fee
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary (B – Breakfast, L – Lunch, D – Dinner)
- Accommodation as listed above.
- Supporting teams of porters during each trekking with overnight for porterages, camp setting and meals preparation
- Nights in camping as mention in itinerary, camping equipment provided (tent, sleeping bag, mattress and flash light)
- Flight reconfirmations
Our services don’t include:
- Visa arrangement
- International and domestic flights.
- Soft drinks, or beverages beyond water – we can add this into costs at agents request
- Beverage and alcoholic drinks at mealtimes
- Meals other than mentioned above
- Energy drinks or powders, performance bars, or performance gels (Gatorade, Powerbars, Gu, Isostar, etc)
- Personal Travel Insurance
- Personal expenditure (laundry, telephone etc.)
- Credit card/bank transfer fees
- Any other services not clearly mentioned in the itinerary and in the inclusive portion
- Supplement for other language speaking guides
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Cycling Bali’s Remote East Coast
- Ride through Bali’s rice fields
- Cycle down Batur volcano
- Snorkel off Amed’s coast
- Pedal past coastal viewpoints
- Visit rural Balinese villages
Experience at The Cicadas’ Residence
- Experience living in an authentic homestay
- Discover local life from the hosts
- Cooking lesson with the host
- Bike around Borobudur area
- Learn traditional Javanese arts
North Sumatra Soft Adventure - Anticlockwise
- Explore North Sumatra
- Visit Samosir Island
- Experience tribal cultures
- Cruise around on Toba Lake
- See orangutans in the wild
Siladen Island Escape - Bunaken
- Relax on Sialden island
- Enjoy Sulawesi’s tropics
- Dive amid colourful coral
- Explore Bunaken Marine Park
- Indulge in a spa treatment
West Java Tribes, Volcano & Cave Adventure
- Trek to remote & traditional Baduy Tribe
- Explore the challenging Buniayu Caves
- Take a dip at Bibijilan Waterfall
- Summit active Papandayan Volcano
- Visit traditional Kampung Naga Village
Wakatobi Island Escape
- Escape to secluded Wakatobi Island
- Explore abundant marine life of the Coral Triangle
- Meet the locals on a walking tour of villages
- Watch beautiful sunrise and sunsets
- Optional active activities on offer