Delve deeper into Vietnam's past with this picturesque Ninh Binh day tour. Explore the atmospheric ruins of Hoa Lu, Vietnam’s ancient capital, before taking a scenic sampan journey past 'Halong Bay on Land'. Admire stunning limestone karsts and enjoy the tranquillity of the countryside before returning to Hanoi.
MEALS [ L ]
After around 2.5 hours of driving, reach Hoa Lu. Join the guide for an in-depth exploration of the ruins of Vietnam’s first capital. Learn about the Dinh (968-980) and Le (980-1009) Dynasties and about the history of the site. See ancient tombs and the ruins of the once-imposing Citadel.
If feeling fit, there is an option to climb into the limestone karst hills. The half-hour walk is rewarded with spectacular views over Hoa Lu and its surroundings.
Return to the vehicle and drive to Tam Coc, crossing through local villages and stunning landscapes. Enjoy a lunch of Vietnamese dishes before continuing to the Tam Coc River. Board a private sampan for a journey through ‘Halong Bay on Land’. Admire the views of enormous limestone karsts jutting out of the green rice fields while the boat cruises along the calm waters. (note: other optional tours can be done in place of the Tam Coc sampan trip. Please see below)
There is an option for another adventurous climb, this one to Ngu Nhac Mountain. The path leads to three cave pagodas dating back to 1428 and offers more stunning views over the countryside.
After the boat journey, drive back to Hanoi arriving late this afternoon. (L)
*Option 1: Trang An
Situated near Tam Coc, Trang An is a nature reserve similar to Tam Coc, however far less visited. Limestone hills surround a peaceful river which passes through a series of caves (one which takes 15-minutes to pass through in darkness). An ‘eco-tourism’ area, the only interruptions here are the sound of birds and the gentle paddle of the oar upon the crystal-clear river.
*Option 2: Thung Nang
Similar to Tam Coc though not as spectacular, Thung Nang is off the tourist trail and a pleasant alternative. Pass through a cave, fields of lotus flowers (in summer) and reach a quaint pagoda before returning on the same route.
Our services include:
-Meals as mentioned (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
-English or French speaking guide (for other languages supplements apply)
-Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air conditioned vehicle
-Entrance fees for mentioned visits
-Boat trips as mentioned in the itinerary
Our services do not include:
-Other meals than mentioned
-Other services than mentioned
-International and domestic Flights
-Laundry, telephone calls and expenditure of a personal nature
-Tips, Travel insurance
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat