Explore soaring landscapes and discover a treasure trove of wonders on this Mae Salong tour. Witness Buddhist monks traveling by horseback to collect their daily alms. Explore Akha and Yao villages, seeing cultures untouched by time. And learn about the fascinating history of the KMT army with a visit to a mountainside settlement.
MEALS [ L ]
The first stop is ‘Wat Tham Pa Acha Thong’, or ‘Golden Horse Monastery’. This remote monastery is one-of-a-kind in Thailand as its monks collect their daily alms by horse instead of on foot. Learn the tale of how this unique procession came to be while walking around the grounds. There may be an opportunity to make an offering to the monks as they pass-by on horseback. Continue to a nearby hilltop temple where monks and novice monks are often practicing Muay Thai martial arts.
Having seen a unique side of Buddhism, venture into Mae Salong’s hills to meet with some of Thailand’s ethnic groups. Visit villages inhabited by the Yao and Akha people, learning about their traditional cultures and beliefs such as spirit worship.
Continue to climb further up the mountains, arriving at Santi Kiri. Santi Kiri is home to a settlement of Kuomintang (KMT) refugees. Learn how the KMT Nationalist Chinese Army fled to Thailand during the mainland civil war and have since fought alongside the Thai army. The descendants of the army have been given land rights to stay in this beautiful corner of Thailand. Visit tea plantations and a co-op store selling homemade wine, traditional medicines and other locally-grown products of the KMT and other Santi Kiri residents.
After this insightful visit, continue driving through spectacular Mae Salong before returning to Chiang Rai early this afternoon. (L)
Our services include:
– English speaking local guide
– Tours and transfers by private Air
– Entrance fees for all visits as mentioned in the itinerary
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights
– Meals other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, drinks, tips, etc.)
– Travel insurance Any service not mentioned above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat