Discover a land steeped in culture, nature and history with this Golden Triangle day trip. Cruise the Mekong River where Laos, Myanmar and Thailand converge and learn about the past when opium was illegally traded across the same waters. Meet unique ethnic groups and soak up the mountain scenery along the way.
MEALS [ L ]
Not long after leaving the city, arrive in Mae Chan. Visit villages inhabited by the Yao and Akha hilltribes, getting a close look at their unique cultures and traditions. This region of Southeast Asia is a melting pot of ethnic groups and Mae Chan is the perfect example of this cultural mélange.
Continue venturing further into the hills to Mae Sai, the northernmost border between Thailand and Myanmar. Take a stroll through the bustling marketplace, hearing bits of Myanmar language spoken as people buy and sell their wares. With the taste buds tantalized from seeing mouth-watering snacks for sale at the market, it is time to refuel with lunch at a local restaurant.
This afternoon the adventure continues, driving north to the Golden Triangle area where the Mekong River joins the Ruak River. It is here that the borders of Thailand, Myanmar and Laos converge and form a triangle. Get a closer look with a ride in a Longtail Boat. Cruise the waterways, enjoying the passing scenery and having the unique opportunity to be near three countries at once.
Return to land and discover a more infamous side of the Golden Triangle at the Opium Museum. Learn how the region was once a hub of opium trade and the ways in which it …
Before returning to Chiang Rai make one last stop at the old city of Chiang Saen on the banks of the Mekong. Established in 1260, this remarkable old city has well-preserved ancient ruins and temples to explore.
After this culture and history-fueled Golden Triangle day trip, return to Chiang Rai full of fabulous memories of the region. (L)
Our services include:
– English speaking local guide
– Tours and transfers by private Air-Conditioned vehicles
– Entrance fees for all visits as mentioned in the itinerary
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights
– Meals other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, drinks, tips, etc.)
– Travel insurance
– Any service not mentioned above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Local Foodie Koh Phangan – Private Tour
- Visit local bustling fresh food market and observe everyday life.
- Meet the locals in their homes and farms to learn about local produce.
- Learn to cook the way the locals do and prepare lunch
Bangkok Treasure Hunt and The Golden Moutain – Private
- Discover Bangkok’s historical sites and neighbourhoods on a treasure hunt
- Crack codes and complete missions while walking through the Golden Mountain
- Interact with the locals and enjoy local snacks along the way
Bangkok City Safari – Eco Friendly
- Travel by Bangkok’s public transportation- just like a local
- Witness the production of monk’s bowls at a family workshop
- Visit Jim Thompson House to learn about traditional Thai silk
Ayutthaya Insight by Train
- Discover Ayutthaya, an ancient capital teeming with history
- Travel by train to see Thailand rural landscapes
- Look beyond the historic monuments to discover local culture
Cruising Phang Nga Bay In Style
- Cruise on a private speedboat
- Pass by James Bond Island
- Eat lunch in a private island
Grand Palace and Wat Pho in Style
- Witness the early morning gathering of monks
- Visit the Grand Palace
- Marvel at the Emerald Buddha