Head for the hills! Leave the city behind for this mountainous Chiang Rai hill tribe tour. Discover the traditions of the Akha and Lahu hill tribes and learn the fascinating history of Mae Salong’s Chinese population. Sample coffee at a mountainside plantation and capture fabulous views of North Thailand’s hills and valleys.
MEALS [ L ]
Get a primer on hilltribe culture with a stop in a village near Mae Chan. Then continue up along winding roads to Mae Salong to visit a tea plantation and a small bakery selling fresh pastries and locally-grown coffee.
Soak up the views while driving onwards to Mae Salong. Stop at the Chinese Kuo Min Tang village and learn about how their ancestors fled to Thailand during China’s civil war. Over the last fifty years the KMT community has grown yet still retains its culture with Chinese language and food prevailing over Thai. Explore this intriguing community and learn more about their fascinating past.
The Chiang Rai hill tribe tour continues with a visit to Hloyo, an Akha hill tribe village. See how the Akha have also held onto their deep-rooted traditional ways of life and customs. Nearby is Doi Chaang Moob, a fantastic viewpoint rising 1700 metres above sea level. Enjoy the sweeping views over the North Thailand hills and explore the adjacent hilltop temple of Wat Phra Tat Doi Tung.
Drive onwards through the mountains on the way to Baan Pa Kluai and Baan Samakee Mai, villages inhabited by the Lahu and Akha hilltribes. Walk around the villages and observe the daily activities of the people, learning about the different beliefs of the two groups. Then continue to Mae Fah Luang, a project developed by the Royal Family to promote sustainable agriculture. Discover how the project has worked with local farmers to switch from growing opium to more profitable crops such as coffee, tea and produce.
On the return drive to Chiang Rai pass by another Yunnanese village. Return to the hotel late this afternoon, filled with fabulous memories of the north Thailand Mountains. (L)
Our services include:
– English speaking local guide
– Tours and transfers by private Air
– Meals as mentioned (Lunch)
– Entrance fees for all visits as mentioned in the itinerary
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights
– Meals other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, drinks, tips, etc.)
– Travel insurance
– Any service not mentioned above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat