Discover a less-touristy, more-authentic side of Chiang Rai. Spend a day trekking Doi Tung Mountain, exploring lush forest, encountering Akha culture and picnicking beside a beautiful waterfall. Cap off the adventure with a visit to a remarkable craft workshop, for a look at Thailand’s traditional cottage industries.
MEALS [ L ]
A village member will guide the day’s excursion, providing a unique perspective on life in rural Thailand. Take a short visit around the village, learning about the Akha people and their beliefs. Then prepare a homemade lunch to take on the day’s adventure.
Then set off on foot, walking through the forest that surrounds Suan Pa village. The local guide will point out the plants and herbs growing along the way and explain their uses. There may also be a chance to sample seasonal fruits plucked straight from the vine.
The Doi Tung Mountain trek heads deeper into the lush forest, leading to a small but beautiful waterfall. In this serene setting, take a rest and enjoy a picnic lunch.
It is then time to say goodbye to the Suan Pa host and continue the journey to Doi Tung Factory and Community Centre. Run by Thailand’s foremost social enterprise and foundation, Mae Fah Luang, the centre promotes handicrafts as an alternative income source for farmers who once grew poppies. See the incredible array of products for sale including weavings, ceramic pottery and handmade paper. There is also a café selling delicious locally-grown coffee.
After this insightful day in the hills return to Chiang Rai by car, arriving in the early evening hours. (L)
Our services include:
– English speaking local guide
– Tours and transfers by private Air
– Basic activities at the village
– Meal as mentioned (Lunch)
– Entrance fees for all visits as mentioned in the itinerary
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights
– Meals other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, drinks, tips, etc.)
– Travel insurance
– Any service not mentioned above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat