Discover Thailand’s vibrant modern arts. See controversial sculptures created by the country’s most famous artists at ‘White Temple’ and ‘Black House’. Travel into the hills to visit a pottery workshop and the unique ‘Blue Temple’. A meeting with a local expert provides further insight into Chiang Rai’s thriving artisan communities.
MEALS [ L ]
Start the day with a visit to Wat Rong Khun, which translates to ‘The White Temple’. This contemporary Buddhist temple was designed by the renowned artist Chalermchai Kositpipat. See the remarkable depictions of heaven and hell displayed in mural paintings and an eccentric sculpture garden. Unlike any other temple in Thailand, The White Temple pushes the boundaries of Buddhist art, resulting in an evocative- and controversial- display.
Continue to Baan Dam, a collection of 15 buildings filled with thought-provoking modern art. The ‘Black House’, as it is known, is the brainchild of Thawan Duchanee, a famed Thai artist who has gone on to achieve international acclaim. Explore the extensive collection of folk art and modern sculptures intended to represent hell. Also steeped in controversy, The Black House is one of Thailand’s most innovative art spaces.
Return to Chiang Rai’s city centre and visit ArtBridge, a collective space established by the Chiang Rai art community. Meet with a local art expert who will share his passion for the arts and explain about the various activities of the centre. Browse the collection of works on display then enjoy lunch at Ma Long Der restaurant.
This afternoon continues along the artisan trail with a visit to the ‘Blue Temple’. This modern temple reflects an architectural style not found elsewhere in Thailand and a decoration style that borders on whimsical. Take a close look at the temple and marvel at its amazing collection of scripture art.
The final stop of the day’s Chiang Rai art exploration is Doi Din Dang Pottery, which is both the residence and gallery of a famed Thai potter. Located high in the hills, the potters draw inspiration from their surroundings to make beautiful decorative pieces and functional housewares. Explore the incredible display of fine ceramics and enjoy the tranquil setting. (L)
Our services include:
– English speaking local guide
– Tours and transfers by private Air
– Meal as mentioned(Lunch)
– Entrance fees for all visits as mentioned in the itinerary
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights
– Meals other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, drinks, tips, etc.)
– Travel insurance
– Any service not mentioned above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat