Big city Bangkok still has many hidden gems waiting to be discovered. On this day trip, stroll through the quaint and undiscovered Portuguese quarter and learn all about this lesser-known settlement, its food and culture. Stop by Wat Prayooonwongsawat, marvel at the artwork of a unique stupa and take part in a traditional blessing.
MEALS [ L ]
Transfer to the Portuguese quarter. Known locally as Kudichin, this neighbourhood was established before the city was founded and most tourists miss this area and its quiet little streets. This feels like an entirely different continent with bakeries selling Portuguese baked treats and the Santa Cruz church bells ringing in the background.
Stop at Khanom Farang Pa Lek (only operational Mon – Fri) and take a look at the traditional methods used to create the Portuguese cookies. Stop by the museum to eat the cookies served together with some traditional Chinese tea.
Afterwards, take some time to explore the museum and to understand how and why the Portuguese first settled in this area.
On the other side of the river, there is a chance to also visit Wat Prayoonwongsawat. This impressive white temple (lesser known to tourists), was built during Rama the 3rd’s reign in the mid 1800’s. It is home to a small garden full of friendly turtles and fish. Then, walk across the complex to a unique stupa that allows one to climb inside and look at the marvelous artwork. Take part in a traditional blessing before the short walk over to the next stop of the tour.
Take a short stroll across the bridge and visit the famous Bangkok Flower market and see many of Thailand’s exotic flowers including many species of orchids. Experience the everyday hustle and bustle of the market.
After a glimpse into the history and culture of the ‘real’ Bangkok, say farewell to the guide and return to the hotel by private transfer. (L)
Our services include:
– Transportation with driver in Air-Conditioned vehicle
– Service of English speaking local guide.
– Entrance fees and activities where mentioned.
– Drinking water during the tour
Our services do not include:
– Other meals than mentioned
– Other services than mentioned
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Local Foodie Koh Phangan – Private Tour
- Visit local bustling fresh food market and observe everyday life.
- Meet the locals in their homes and farms to learn about local produce.
- Learn to cook the way the locals do and prepare lunch
Bangkok Treasure Hunt and The Golden Moutain – Private
- Discover Bangkok’s historical sites and neighbourhoods on a treasure hunt
- Crack codes and complete missions while walking through the Golden Mountain
- Interact with the locals and enjoy local snacks along the way
Bangkok City Safari – Eco Friendly
- Travel by Bangkok’s public transportation- just like a local
- Witness the production of monk’s bowls at a family workshop
- Visit Jim Thompson House to learn about traditional Thai silk
Ayutthaya Insight by Train
- Discover Ayutthaya, an ancient capital teeming with history
- Travel by train to see Thailand rural landscapes
- Look beyond the historic monuments to discover local culture
Cruising Phang Nga Bay In Style
- Cruise on a private speedboat
- Pass by James Bond Island
- Eat lunch in a private island
Grand Palace and Wat Pho in Style
- Witness the early morning gathering of monks
- Visit the Grand Palace
- Marvel at the Emerald Buddha