Get wrapped up in the culture and atmosphere of rural Myanmar with this exciting adventure through Bagan's outskirts. Travel across the Irrawaddy River and venture by bicycle to Pakokku passing farms, local markets and villages untouched by the modern world, ultimately returning to Bagan on a private boat cruise.
MEALS [ L ]
After breakfast, take a short transfer to the Irrawaddy River to begin the Pakokku tour. Board a wooden motorboat and watch the pagodas of Bagan fade into the distance as the boat travels to the river’s western shores.
Upon landing, hop on the bikes and start pedaling toward Myitche, a typical village with many local industries. Stop for a visit at the morning market, a huge, colorful marketplace. Rub shoulders with the locals while browsing the stalls of fresh produce, delicious snacks and other items for sale. Continue to a nearby neighbourhood to witness the production of various household items made from rattan (or cane).
Then return to the main road for the ride to Pakokku. The 40-kilometre ride is on a flat, mostly sealed tarmac road. There is little traffic along the way and plenty of opportunities to stop for photos of the farms, fields and small villages that surround the roadside. Depending on the time of year, the fields may be busy with farmers planting or harvesting tobacco, cotton, chili and peanuts- crops that thrive in this region of Myanmar. This bike ride offers a unique chance to see up-close the ways of life of the farmers and residents of rural Myanmar.
Upon reaching Pakokku, take a break and enjoy a simple, but tasty lunch of local dishes.
From here, the adventure moves back to the water with a two-hour private boat trip down the Irrawaddy River. Relax and enjoy this scenic stretch of the river, retracing the path of the morning’s bike ride. Nearing Bagan, the temple spires begin to come into view offering a different perspective of the archeological zone.
Wrap up the Pakokku tour with a late afternoon disembarkation at the jetty and transfer back to the hotel. (L)
Our services include:
– Transfer to and from boat jetty
– Private Boat Trip as mentioned
– Lunch + water + snacks
– Bike Rental
– Drinking water
Our services do not include:
– Meals other than mentioned
– Bagan Zone Fee
– Personal expenses
– Any other items not mentioned
– Visits not mentioned in the program
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
- Explore Myanmar’s lesser-visited Thandwe region
- Learn about traditional weaving and fishing practices
- Embark on a scenic river cruise, visiting local villages
Golf Yangon – Pun Hlaing Golf Club
- Enjoy 18 holes of golf in colonial Yangon
- Play at one of the city’s two internationally-recognised courses
- Wind down in the clubhouse after a memorable round
Local Color Tour in Bagan
- See Bagan from a local point of view
- Visit neighbourhoods untouched by the modern world
- Mingle with the locals at Nyaung U Market
Yangon Adventure Walk
- Explore the maze of laneways, characteristic of downtown Yangon
- Visit a Hindu temple and local tea shop
- Experience local bus and pedal-powered trishaw transport
Kyauk Gu U Min Temple by Boat
- Step beyond the Bagan tourist path to visit a secluded temple
- Take a scenic boat trip on the Irrawaddy River
- Learn of the rich history and ancient legends of Bagan
Bagan Temple Cycling Adventure
- Bike on narrow paths to explore the archaeological zone of Bagan
- Visit a selection of iconic monuments and several hidden gems
- Cross villages and neighbourhoods away from the tourist trail