MEALS [ L ]
Get a taste of local culture with an excursion to Bagan’s countryside. Travel to Mount Popa, an extinct volcano that rises more than 1500 metres high. Mount Popa is believed to be the home of the nats, 37 guardian spirits worshipped by the Myanmar people.
Arrive at the base of Taung Kalat, a volcanic plug where a massive shrine has been constructed. Get a glimpse into this unique form of worship at a small museum where statues of each nat are displayed. Then climb the stairs to the top of the shrine, joining local pilgrims on the way. On the way, learn more about the nats and the role they play in Myanmar culture. Upon reaching the top, relax and enjoy the views.
On the return journey, stop at Shwe Hlaing. Explore this local village which is famous for its toddy palm trees. See how the ingenious farmers use the trees to produce everything from tables to sweet molasses and even strong wine. A local lunch will be served amid the toddy palms, providing a true taste of rural Bagan culture.
The return to Bagan, arriving late in the afternoon. (L)
Responsible Travel: This tour gives you a chance to see the local life of the Burmese people, an opportunity to interact with the locals and also support locals.
Our services include:
– English-speaking guide
– Transfers and excursion with private air-conditioned vehicle with driver
– 1 lunch at Toddy Farm
– Drinking water
Our services do not include:
– Bagan Zone Entrance fee
– Meals other than mentioned
– Drinks and personal expenses
– Any other items not mentioned
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
- Explore Myanmar’s lesser-visited Thandwe region
- Learn about traditional weaving and fishing practices
- Embark on a scenic river cruise, visiting local villages
Yangon Cycling A Cross-River Adventure
- Peddle a mountain bike through a maze of village lanes and green countryside
- Go as local as it gets, off-the-beaten-path, surrounded by friendly locals
- Chit-chat with locals at a small teashop for an authentic Burmese coffee break
Yangon Farm To Table
- Visit an urban organic farm in quiet suburban Yangon
- Learn about organic farming from the farmers
- Enjoy a delicious farm-to-table lunch on an outdoor terrace
Train Ride from Tha Ye Zay to Marble Hill
- Explore local markets and rural life in Mandalay’s outskirts
- Experience a gentle pace of travel by riding on Mandalay’s slow train
- Learn all about marble stone carving at a workshop
Trading Jade in Mandalay
- Step off the tourist path to visit the Mandalay jade market
- Watch as jade is cut and polished by skilled craftsmen
- Learn about Myanmar’s world-famous gem industry
Bagan Cooking Class
- Learn the secrets of Myanmar cuisine with a local chef
- Cook lunch using traditional recipes and local ingredients
- Gain insight into Myanmar’s culinary culture