Venture away from the tourist trail to discover Kakku, one of Myanmar’s hidden gems. Tucked away in the Shan mountains, the collection of 2500 stupas beckon to be explored. Wander amid the 11th century site, admiring the intricately carved monuments and unlocking the mystery behind their origin.
MEALS [ L ]
Enjoy a unique cultural discovery on this Kakku tour. Travel the winding roadways that lead from the lowlands around Inle Lake and into the Shan Hills. Enjoy the views as the scenery shifts from low-lying rice paddies to hillside fields and farms.
Cross through Taunggyi, the Shan State’s thriving capital, and onwards through villages inhabited by the Pa-Oh people. After the two-hour scenic drive, arrive at Kakku.
Be awe-struck as thousands of stupas come into view. Wander amid these structures, some of which are 20-metres high. Take a closer look at the intricate carvings and details that can be found on some of the stupas. While exploring, learn of their mysterious origins dating back to the 11th century and their significance to the Pa-Oh people. Despite its beauty, few tourists make it to Kakku and it is likely that no other visitors will be there. The solitude of the site and its remote location add to its allure.
After enjoying the Kakku tour, take a break for lunch at a local restaurant and then commence the drive down from the highlands.On the way, stop in a Pa-Oh village. Although living near to Taunggyi, the Pa-Oh retain their own unique culture and language. Learn about their customs and traditions with this insightful visit.
Then continue onwards to Inle Lake. (L)
Our services include:
– Private vehicle for drive Nyaung Shwe – Kakku – Nyaung Shwe
– Local Pa Oh guide (compulsory)
– 1 lunch at a local restaurant
– Entrance fees for the visits Kakku: Zone fees
– Drinking water
Our services do not include:
– Inle Lake Zone Fee
– Meals other than mentioned
– Drinks and personal expenses
– Any other items not mentioned
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
- Explore Myanmar’s lesser-visited Thandwe region
- Learn about traditional weaving and fishing practices
- Embark on a scenic river cruise, visiting local villages
Golf Yangon – Pun Hlaing Golf Club
- Enjoy 18 holes of golf in colonial Yangon
- Play at one of the city’s two internationally-recognised courses
- Wind down in the clubhouse after a memorable round
Local Color Tour in Bagan
- See Bagan from a local point of view
- Visit neighbourhoods untouched by the modern world
- Mingle with the locals at Nyaung U Market
Yangon Adventure Walk
- Explore the maze of laneways, characteristic of downtown Yangon
- Visit a Hindu temple and local tea shop
- Experience local bus and pedal-powered trishaw transport
Kyauk Gu U Min Temple by Boat
- Step beyond the Bagan tourist path to visit a secluded temple
- Take a scenic boat trip on the Irrawaddy River
- Learn of the rich history and ancient legends of Bagan
Bagan Temple Cycling Adventure
- Bike on narrow paths to explore the archaeological zone of Bagan
- Visit a selection of iconic monuments and several hidden gems
- Cross villages and neighbourhoods away from the tourist trail