Embrace the cultural wonders, natural beauty and unique lifestyles that define Inle Lake. Spend a day on the water, taking in the highlights and discovering hidden gems. Encounter local ways of life while venturing through stilted villages and soak-in the scenery of the surrounding Shan Hills.
MEALS [ L ]
Begin this Inle Lake full day tour by boarding a private longtail boat. The motorboat has everything you need for an enjoyable journey- cushioned wooden chairs, life jackets, umbrellas- for sun and wind protection- and blankets in the winter months.
Start with a visit to the morning market, which rotates locations on a 5-day basis. (Note: there are no markets on full moon or dark moon days) This daily market attracts people from all over the lake’s shores to buy and sell their wares; it’s a great chance to meet with the locals.
Continue across the lake, passing through villages with stilted houses. Cruise by floating gardens built up from strips of water hyacinth and mud, anchored to the bottom with bamboo poles. Be on the lookout for fishermen who use a unique leg-rowing technique to propel their boats while casting their nets.
Next is a visit to Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda, the lake’s main sanctuary. Climb the stairs to the top where 5 sacred Buddha images are displayed on a platform. Learn about the history of these gold-covered statues and find out why they are so revered. Take a short walk to a nearby boat house to see the royal barges used during the pagoda’s annual festival.
Continue with a short ride onwards to Inpawkhone, a village known for its weaving. Stop in one weaving workshop to see this traditional craft up-close. See silk being spun and placed in intricate patterns on the loom. Witness the time-consuming process of making threads from the fibrous stems of the lotus flowers, a craft that is unique to this village. Then continue to a cheroot factory, whereMyanmar cigars are rolled by hand.
After a lunch of typical Inthar dishes, continue across the lake and down a narrow canal to the village of Indein. (Due to low water levels, Indein is often inaccessible by boat in April and May. The area can still be reached by road) Explore the area on foot, strolling around the village and wandering through the beautiful Alaung Sithu area. Walk up the hill to see its picturesque stupas and enjoy magnificent views of the lake.
If time allows, a stop can be made at Inthar Heritage House to learn more about the history and culture of the lake’s indigenous people. Conclude the Inle Lake full day tour with a return to the hotel, filled with unforgettable lakeside memories. (L)
Our services include:
-speaking local guide
– Private boat
– Drinking water
Our services do not include:
– Meals other than mentioned
– Snack break at Inthar Heritage House
– Drinks and personal expenses
– Any other items not mentioned
– Inle Lake Zone Fee
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
- Explore Myanmar’s lesser-visited Thandwe region
- Learn about traditional weaving and fishing practices
- Embark on a scenic river cruise, visiting local villages
Golf Yangon – Pun Hlaing Golf Club
- Enjoy 18 holes of golf in colonial Yangon
- Play at one of the city’s two internationally-recognised courses
- Wind down in the clubhouse after a memorable round
Local Color Tour in Bagan
- See Bagan from a local point of view
- Visit neighbourhoods untouched by the modern world
- Mingle with the locals at Nyaung U Market
Yangon Adventure Walk
- Explore the maze of laneways, characteristic of downtown Yangon
- Visit a Hindu temple and local tea shop
- Experience local bus and pedal-powered trishaw transport
Kyauk Gu U Min Temple by Boat
- Step beyond the Bagan tourist path to visit a secluded temple
- Take a scenic boat trip on the Irrawaddy River
- Learn of the rich history and ancient legends of Bagan
Bagan Temple Cycling Adventure
- Bike on narrow paths to explore the archaeological zone of Bagan
- Visit a selection of iconic monuments and several hidden gems
- Cross villages and neighbourhoods away from the tourist trail