Experience authentic Intha culture! Join a hands-on cooking class to prepare delicious dishes from Inle Lake’s indigenous people. Learn about the efforts being made to preserve the Intha’s rich traditions and cuddle with rare Burmese cats, all the while supporting a vocational training centre.
MEALS [ L ]
Explore local culture and cuisine with this Inle Lake cooking class at the Inthar Heritage House. Established by a local family, the Heritage House is involved in several activities aimed at preserving the culture of the Intha, the lake’s indigenous people. There is an organic garden, vocational training centre, restaurant and breeding house for rare Burmese cats as well as informative displays about Intha traditions.
Travel by private boat to the southern stretches of the lake where the centre is located. A host from the Heritage House will give a brief introduction to the day’s program and then it’s time to start cooking!
Walk to the organic gardens and pick fresh vegetables and herbs. Learn about the traditional farming methods used by the Intha people and the damage caused by modern pesticides. See the variety of crops being grown, discovering unusual items not found in western supermarkets.
Then don an apron, grab a recipe book and head to the kitchen. Under the guidance of the chef and with the assistance of the centre’s students, prepare a selection of typical Intha dishes. Use recipes handed down from generation to generation and traditional cooking techniques. Interact with the students to discover the role that food plays in Intha culture and how the people rely upon the lake to provide sustenance.
Once the dishes are prepared and the aprons dirtied, head to the adjoining dining room to taste the resulting dishes. (Coffee/tea and one free soft drink, juice or beer is included)
With a full belly and better appreciation of Intha culture, return to the hotel or resume sightseeing. (L)
Our services include:
-speaking local guide
– Luxury private motorized boat
– Recipe book
– Coffee/ Tea plus one beverage (juice, soda or local beer)
– Drinking water
Our services do not include:
– Meals other than mentioned
– Drinks and personal expenses
– Any other items not mentioned
– Inle Lake Zone Fee
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
- Explore Myanmar’s lesser-visited Thandwe region
- Learn about traditional weaving and fishing practices
- Embark on a scenic river cruise, visiting local villages
Golf Yangon – Pun Hlaing Golf Club
- Enjoy 18 holes of golf in colonial Yangon
- Play at one of the city’s two internationally-recognised courses
- Wind down in the clubhouse after a memorable round
Local Color Tour in Bagan
- See Bagan from a local point of view
- Visit neighbourhoods untouched by the modern world
- Mingle with the locals at Nyaung U Market
Yangon Adventure Walk
- Explore the maze of laneways, characteristic of downtown Yangon
- Visit a Hindu temple and local tea shop
- Experience local bus and pedal-powered trishaw transport
Kyauk Gu U Min Temple by Boat
- Step beyond the Bagan tourist path to visit a secluded temple
- Take a scenic boat trip on the Irrawaddy River
- Learn of the rich history and ancient legends of Bagan
Bagan Temple Cycling Adventure
- Bike on narrow paths to explore the archaeological zone of Bagan
- Visit a selection of iconic monuments and several hidden gems
- Cross villages and neighbourhoods away from the tourist trail