Discover the secrets behind the famous lacquerware of Bagan. Step into a local workshop with a renowned artisan and see each stage of the process unfold. Learn the craft’s history and how it has evolved over time. Cap-off the experience with a hands-on course to create a unique, handmade souvenir.
MEALS [ L ]
Delve into one of Myanmar’s oldest art forms: lacquerware. Visit a local Bagan lacquerware workshop and meet with a craftsman whose family has been making lacquer for generations. Hear how the craft arrived in Myanmar in the 12th century and has evolved over time. The process remains much the same but new designs have changed to suit modern tastes.
Then step into the workshop to see the process evolve step-by-step. See how strips of bamboo are tightly woven to form the base. Then watch as a layer of lacquer is applied. The lacquer comes from Thit-si, a sap harvested from a local tree found throughout Bagan. Once dried, see how the item is polished then coated with another layer. This process will be repeated several times to improve the quality and strength of the product.
After observing the process of creating the lacquerware, move on to the design phase. Watch the delicate techniques used to etch and paint intricate patterns on the items. Then, with the assistance of an artisan, grab a paintbrush and decorate a drink coaster. Gain a greater appreciation for the skill and talent of the artists through this hands-on experience.
Leave the coasters to dry and collect them later in the day for a one-of-a-kind souvenir from Bagan!
Our services include:
– Transfers and excursion with private air
-conditioned vehicle with driver
– Set of 6 coasters with holder per person
– Drinking water
Our services do not include:
– Bagan Zone Fee
– Meals other than mentioned
– Personal expenses
– Visits not mentioned in the program
– Any other items not mentioned
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
- Explore Myanmar’s lesser-visited Thandwe region
- Learn about traditional weaving and fishing practices
- Embark on a scenic river cruise, visiting local villages
Golf Yangon – Pun Hlaing Golf Club
- Enjoy 18 holes of golf in colonial Yangon
- Play at one of the city’s two internationally-recognised courses
- Wind down in the clubhouse after a memorable round
Local Color Tour in Bagan
- See Bagan from a local point of view
- Visit neighbourhoods untouched by the modern world
- Mingle with the locals at Nyaung U Market
Yangon Adventure Walk
- Explore the maze of laneways, characteristic of downtown Yangon
- Visit a Hindu temple and local tea shop
- Experience local bus and pedal-powered trishaw transport
Kyauk Gu U Min Temple by Boat
- Step beyond the Bagan tourist path to visit a secluded temple
- Take a scenic boat trip on the Irrawaddy River
- Learn of the rich history and ancient legends of Bagan
A Taste of Yangon
- Sample Yangon’s best food, from traditional to contemporary
- Sip sunset cocktails at a trendy, rooftop bar
- Visit downtown’s illuminated landmarks by open air trishaw