Discover the natural beauty and local culture of southern Laos on this full-day tour of the Bolaven Plateau loop. Trek to cascading waterfalls in the lush jungle and witness the lifestyles of the plateau’s ethnic groups. Join a coffee expert for a walk through a plantation and dine on organic, locally-grown produce.
MEALS [ L ]
Start with a visit to the twin Tad Fane waterfalls, towering 120-metres in height. Nearby, Tad Yuang is a wider but equally impressive fall. The falls are fed by the Champy and Pak Koot rivers; although there is always water flowing, the volume changes year to year.
Next, visit a cooperative coffee plantation and factory. Although not as well-known internationally as Vietnam’s coffee, Laos beans are top quality and the Bolaven Plateau is home to the country’s best plantations. Led by a local expert, explore CPC plantation and learn about the steps of growing and processing the beans.
In season (Nov-Dec) you can help collect the cherries in the plantations. Lunch will be served at a traditional stilt house. The simple, but delicious, meal is prepared with organically-grown ingredients and using traditional recipes. Afterwards, back at the factory, a coffee roasting and tasting session will be held.
A stop will be made on the way back to Pakse/Champassak at Ban Houay Houn, a small Katu village. Witness the traditional weaving techniques of the Katu people. The women use a back-strap loom and their legs to weave the cotton fabric then add small beads as decoration. These ancient traditions are still an important part of life along the Bolaven Plateau loop.
Having enjoyed the nature and culture of the region, return to Pakse for the early evening. (L)
Our services include:
– Transport in a private air conditioned vehicle
– Meals as indicated
– English speaking guide (for other languages supplements apply)
– All entrance fees
– All permissions and local taxes
– Drinking water
Our services do not include:
– Alcoholic drinks & drinks at mealtime
– Personal travel insurance
– Personal expenses
– Tips for guide and driver
– Meals other than those mentioned above
– Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusion above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat