Calling all noodle lovers! This unique soba making class in Tokyo explores the art of crafting these favourite noodles. Meet with expert soba makers in the kitchen, helping to mix, boil and precisely cut this beloved Japanese staple. Slurp up a bowl or two of the fresh noodles, getting an authentic taste of Japan.
MEALS [ L ]
Meet with the founder of the school or one of its master chefs for an introduction to soba. Be introduced to the technique used by Soba Academy, called masumizu, which dictates a simple but fluid process.
Then watch a short demonstration by the 'sobatician' watching as they carefully sift the buckwheat, add water and then mix in a steady rhythm. Lend a hand in the mixing then help knead it out, folding and kneading several times to get the right consistency. The instructor will then demonstrate the proper flattening technique, guiding the process of rolling the dough to a precise 1.5 mm thickness. Then comes the biggest challenge yet most important step: cutting the noodles. Use a special tool to precisely cut each individual noodle to 1.6mm in width. It can take years to master this technique but it is fun to try it out!
At the end of the process the soba noodles will be cooked and served up for lunch. Eat tachigui style, the traditional belief that standing up is the best way to enjoy these delicious noodles. After this insightful soba making class in Tokyo, say farewell to the chefs and depart the Academy.
Our services include:
– Meals as mentioned in the itinerary (B
– All applicable entrance fees as mentioned in the itinerary
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights (quoted separately)
– Transfers to and from the venue
– Meals and/or drinks other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (e.g. drinks, laundry, telephone, etc.)
– Travel insurance
– Other services not indicated in the package inclusions above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Hiroshima by Bike
- Explore the modern city of Hiroshima in this one-of-a-kind bike tour
- Retrace the city’s atomic bomb heritage by visiting monuments dating back to 1945
- Experience the rebirth of Hiroshima and its transformation into a vibrant city
Hiroshima Gourmet Walk
- Discover Hiroshima’s food scene in this unique tour
- Enjoy the ambience of the city and see how the locals spend their evenings
- Sample delicious food and drinks in one of the most retro shopping arcades
Flavours of Osaka Food Tour
- Enjoy the lively Osaka nightlife while sampling some of the best dishes the city has to offer
- Venture on a sybaritic escapade with a charismatic, food-loving guide
- Experience the heart and soul of the city, which is deeply connected to its food culture
Hida Cycling Tour – Standard – Morning
- Take a scenic cycling tour around the mountain village of Hida
- Get a closer look at Japan’s alpine culture and traditions
- Pedal past rice paddies, rural villages and clear rivers
Highlights of Hiroshima Food Tour
- Embark on a gastronomic adventure in the downtown area of Hiroshima
- Get a taste of the city’s food culture and experience the warmth and kindness of the locals
- Share the city’s best soul food and personal stories with a food-loving guide
Saijo Sake Brewery Tour
- Learn about the production process of sake in Saijo, a top sake brewing district in Japan.
- Sample various types of sake and sake-based products from different breweries.
- Taste a local speciality that originated in this historic area.