MEALS [ L ]
Enter the stunning 400-year-old temple and stroll around its beautiful Zen garden. Then meet with a tea master who will explain about Japanese tea and the relationship between the ceremony and Zen Buddhism. Then the ceremony begins, with the master explaining each movement and its meaning in detail.
During the ceremony, join the teacher to make tea, following the motions as he demonstrates. Once ready, sample some traditional confectioneries before sipping the tea to counter its bitter flavours.
Following this interactive experience, take a walking tour around Kyoto's Higashiyama District. Admire the picture-perfect streets, whose gently sloped stone stairways are lined with tea houses and artisan shops. Stop by Kiyomizu Temple for a short tour of this architectural masterpiece. Climb to its 13-metre high balcony, which was built without the use of any kind of joiners, and enjoy an impressive view of Kyoto.
After soaking up the views of Kyoto, return to the hotel or continue exploring the city's sites.
Suggested Option: Zazen Meditation
As an option, the tea ceremony can be followed by a session of Zazen meditation, one of the most important practices of Zen Buddhism.
Following the teacher's instructions, assume a seated position and clear the mind. Take slow, steady breaths and let go of any thoughts or worries. To help fight distractions the teacher may tap on the shoulders with a keisaku, a warning stick used by Zen monks to help them keep focused.
Zazen meditation is a practice that can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of cultural and religious background. Feel refreshed and rejuvenated after this traditional meditation experience.
Our services include:
– Tea Ceremony with green tea and Japanese confectionery.
– Hotel pick
-up and taxi transfer to the venue (Note: depending on exact hotel location, supplementary charges may apply)
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights (quoted separately)
– Meals other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, and other expenditures of a personal nature)
– Travel insurance
– Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above
– A guide in another language can be organized for an additional charge
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat