See Kyoto from a local perspective with a fabulous half-day cycling tour. Pedal along the city's maze of backstreets to discover hidden teahouses, spot Geishas gracefully crossing the road and encounter scenes of Japanese daily life at every turn. This Kyoto bike ride is certain to delight the culturally curious.
MEALS [ L ]
Start with a ride through Gion District, Kyoto's main geisha and entertainment district. Pedal along Miyagawa-cho, a narrow lane lined with traditional houses called machiya. Stop for photos and a closer look at these well-preserved dwellings, learning about what life is like behind the doors.
Continue along the picturesque Shirakawa Canal that is lined with weeping willow trees, passing by some local restaurants and teahouses (ochaya) where Geishas and Maikos live and work. Turn on to Hanami-koji (flower-viewing street), which is the most famous alley in this area. With a stroke of luck, it may be possible to catch a glimpse of a Maiko as she rushes on from one lavish ochaya to another.
Then cycle away from Gion, heading to the Imperial Palace Park. Take a short tour of this park, seeing the site where the Imperial Family's residence used to stand.
It's time to head back to the bike depot. Follow a different route back, riding alongside the Kamogawa River. This road is one of Kyoto's most atmospheric, lined with cherry blossom trees on one side and a busy food stall street on the other.
After this three-hour Kyoto bike tour, drop the bikes at the depot and return to the hotel for a chance to freshen up.
Journey: approx. 15 km
Our services include:
-speaking cycling guide
– All applicable entrance fees as mentioned in the itinerary
– Accident insurance
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights (quoted separately)
– Transfers to and from the meeting place/starting point
– Meals and/or drinks
– Personal expenses (e.g. drinks, laundry, telephone, and other expenditures of a personal nature)
– Travel insurance
– Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat