Uncover the charm and traditions of Takayama. Take an insightful guided walking tour through the old town and market, exploring the melange of Alpine architecture, historic buildings and incredible customs that make Takayama unique. After all of that walking, refuel with regional specialties washed down with glass of locally-brewed sake.
MEALS [ L ]
Along with a local guide, hit the streets of the old town where Alpine architecture and traditional houses can be found at every turn. Learn about the history of the shops, each one having its own link to the city's history and culture. Browse the different products on offer to learn about the city's traditions.
A large part of Takayama's unique heritage is its food. While walking through the town and its market, stop at some of the most popular local shops to sample regional delicacies. Savour items such as miso, a Japanese paste made from soybeans, salt and rice, Takayama rice dumplings and homemade sweets. Learn how these items are made from locally-grown ingredients and using old family recipes. There is also a chance to taste sake produced in one of the town's breweries.
After this insightful - and tasty - walking tour of Takayama, return to the hotel or continue exploring the town independently.
Our services include:
-speaking tour leader.
– Local food and sake samples (additional food orders will be charged extra and regulated on spot).
Our services do not include:
– Transfers to and from the venue
– International and domestic flights (quoted separately)
– Meals other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, and other expenditures of a personal nature)
– Travel insurance
– Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat