MEALS [ L ]
Although one of the more touristy of the Bangkok markets to visit, Damnoen Saduak offers great photo opportunities and a unique chance to experience this traditional style of marketplace. See boats laden with fresh fruit, traditional snacks and other items being sold on the canals. Imagine a time, not too long ago, when residents would paddle up to these floating stalls to buy their daily wares.
For a closer look, hop aboard a paddle boat and explore the labyrinth of canals. Pass by houses and small villages set upon the water’s edge and see the ways of life of the people in this part of rural Thailand.
After spending the morning exploring the famous floating markets catch a boat, around 20 mins, to the area known as Lakha. On arrival at the Lakha area, be greeted by some very quiet Klongs and an impressive temple.
Around 50 years ago there was a big floating market here called Bua Ngam or Pho Hak floating market. Some locals say this is the origin of the famous Damnoen Saduak floating market today. This area gradually shrunk in terms of a floating market as people changed their preferred method of transport to land.
Before exploring the area in detail stop for a very traditional lunch at a 130-year-old antique house.
Then, have the chance to explore the local area, which is a real step back in time. The local people live in wooden stilt houses and the way of life here has not changed for centuries. Take a stroll along the riverside boardwalks and meet the friendly locals who are quite prepared to show one all about their life, homes, general shops and workshops to take a look around.
The main highlights to explore here are the sculpture workshop, run by one man who will invite guests to partake in the painting of his sculptures. There is an antique printing house where they still print using steel stamps for sending letters. Guests can also help with dessert making at another local’s house (the dessert may have been included in the lunch taken earlier).
A walk along these wooden walkways is a blast from the past and worth taking your time to soak up the friendly atmosphere. In the locals house, see old things in daily life, right down to the smallest detail, like scales for weighing things and barber’s chairs which have not been seen in the west since the early 1900s.
After this insightful day in the Thai countryside, return to Bangkok full of fabulous memories. (L)
Our services include:
– Transportation with driver in Air
– Service of English speaking local guide
– Entrance fees and activities where mentioned
– Drinking water during the tour
– Meals as specified (Lunch)
Our services do not include:
– Other meals than mentioned
– Other services than mentioned
– Gratuities, personal expenses, drinks, and other items
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat