Take to the streets of Kyoto on two wheels. Get a different perspective of Japan's cultural capital while cycling through historic neighbourhoods and scenic side streets. Encounter scenes of daily life, discover hidden gems away from the usual tourist trail and stop to visit Kyoto's remarkable UNESCO-heritage sites.
MEALS [ L ]
Then cycle to Nijo Castle, one of Kyoto's UNESCO World Heritage sites. Take a tour through this massive compound, stopping to admire its intricately painted sliding doors and unusual 'chirping' floors. Learn about the history of the castle and the symbolic meaning of its architecture.
Take a break for a quick lunch before returning to the bikes for a ride to Kinkaku-ji Temple. This beautiful structure was built as a retirement village of a shogun but, after his death, was converted into a Zen Buddhist temple. The top two floors are covered in gold leaf, creating a resplendent image that is reflected in the temple's tranquil pond.
Adjacent to Kinkaku-ji is another Zen Buddhist temple called Ryoan-ji. Ryoan-ji is home to one of Japan's most famous rock gardens. Gaze upon this tranquil site while the guide explains the various legends associated with its origin.
Return to the bikes for one last visit. Pedal to scenic Arashiyama, an area famous for its bamboo forest, massive temples and vibrant alleyways. Spend time exploring this colourful neighbourhood before returning to central Kyoto where the tour concludes.
Journey:approx. 20 km
Our services include:
-speaking cycling guide
– Meals as mentioned in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
– All applicable entrance fees as mentioned in the itinerary
– Accident insurance
Our services do not include:
– International and domestic flights (quoted separately)
– Transfers to and from the meeting place/starting point
– Meals other than mentioned above
– Personal expenses (e.g. drinks, laundry, telephone, and other expenditures of a personal nature)
– Travel insurance
– Other services not clearly indicated in the package inclusions above
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Going local in Sanur
- Experience Sanur the way the locals do
- Enjoy a sail with a fisherman in a Jukung outrigger
- Try Balinese food on the night market
Traditional Lanna – Style Wedding
- Don the traditional Lanna wedding costume
- Traditional Lanna-style wedding
- Enjoy authentic Northern Thai dishes
A Touch of Krabi Culture
- Take a scenic boat trip down the Krabi River
- Explore quiet villages for a glimpse of traditional lifestyles
- Mingle with locals at the vibrant night market
James Bond & Floating Villages by Speedboat
- See Phang Nga Bay’s limestone karsts and beaches by speedboat
- Visit the famous island in the film ‘Man with the Golden Gun’
- Explore a floating village for a glimpse into local ways of life
Limestone Caves and Lagoons by Kayak
- Kayak through southern Thailand’s most spectacular landscapes
- Get an up-close look at Krabi’s famed limestone karsts
- Paddle to mangrove forests and incredible prehistoric caves
Kayaking the Hong Lagoon
- Explore uninhabited Hong Island by kayak and on foot
- Plunge underwater for a look at colourful corals and fish
- Cross the Andaman Sea in an iconic long-tail boat