Take a closer look at Cambodia’s turbulent past with a poignant visit to the Khmer Rouge’s most notorious sites. Hear the stories of prisoners held at S-21 Prison and learn of the tragedies that occurred at the Killing Fields. Understand how the atrocities of that era still affect modern Cambodia.
MEALS [ L ]
Start with a visit to Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, also known as S-21. Originally built as a school, the compound was taken over by the Khmer Rouge and used as its main detention and torture centre. Take a sobering tour of the site, learning about the prison’s history and hear the stories of the people held within its walls.
Continue on to the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek. This rural compound was used as an execution site and burial ground for some of the millions killed during the Khmer Rouge regime. Learn about the atrocities and brutal killings that occurred at this site.
Before the day comes to a close, stop at the Russian Market. This bustling bazaar earned its name in the 1980s as the expat Russian population often shopped here. These days the market is filled with everything from souvenirs to local handicrafts, silver jewellery to electronic goods.
Note: All visitors to Toul Sleng Genocide Museum are required to wear modest clothing: no short pants or short skirts (knees must be covered) and no sleeveless shirts (shoulders must be covered). See-through clothing will also not be allowed.
Our services include:
– Local English speaking guide
– Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air
– Entrance fees for all mentioned visits
– Bottled drinking water
Our services do not include:
– Meals at own expense
– Personal travel insurance
– Tips for guide & driver
– Any other items not mentioned
Similar Tours You May Like
Not quite right or still need some more inspiration? Take a look at the journeys below and discover what other people who liked this tour also looked at!
Vespa Countryside Life Tour
- Zip through Siem Reap’s outskirts on the back of a Vespa
- See what it’s like living in the shadow of the Angkor temples
- Dine on delicious Khmer food in the middle of the countryside
Phnom Penh Sightseeing
- In-depth exploration of Cambodia’s capital
- Delve into the past at the Royal Palace and National Museum
- Visit sombre reminders of the country’s tragic recent history
Vehicle & guide disposal Siem Reap
- Charming gateway
- Famed Temples of Angkor
- Half day car and guide at disposal in Siem Reap
Contemporary Arts In Battambang
- Visit galleries: explore impressive contemporary galleries in Battambang.
- Meet a local artist and curator: some of the galleries will have the curator and artist show around the art and explain the significance of each one.
- Visit the city’s architectural masterpieces: visit old colonial buildings, markets, and even a cinema.
Helicopter Experience – Angkor Wat & Temples
- Soar above the surroundings of Angkor Wat and see the historic temples from a bird’s eye view
- Loop on a temple tour to see the lesser-known temples in the area
- Be awed by the sheer scale of the former Khmer empire.
Helicopter – Koh Ker – Beng Mealea
- Take a helicopter loop with rewarding aerial views of Angkor Wat and lesser-known temples.
- Visit ancient capital of Cambodia, Koh Ker and see a stupa unique of Angkorian temples.
- Discover the hidden jungle temple of Beng Mealea.