With its rich ethno-diversity and endlessly impressive landscapes, Laos is a hugely suitable place for an active and stimulating family holiday.
The one-time royal capital Luang Prabang is the most popular destination in the country and delivers a plentiful supply of accessible restaurants and other tourist facilities. The city is also a fantastic base from which to strike out to nearby sights such as Kuang Si Waterfall and the Pak Ou cave. It also makes a sensible departure point for trekking and other adventures in northern Laos.
Like Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng is well worthy of some time on any family’s itinerary. The sleepy town, once the whispers of backpacker legend, has transformed in recent years with a renewed focus on sustainable active travel suitable for all ages. From zip-lining, trekking, kayaking and cycling to enjoying lazy days relaxing beside the Nam Song river, Vang Vieng has it all.
Vientiane is equally deserving of some time in the spotlight for family draws. In the Lao capital, cooking classes or a trip to nearby Buddha Park, an intriguing collection of Buddhas, can make for superb visits.
Thrills can be found the length and breadth of the country. Further south, the beautiful island of Don Daeng, directly opposite Champasak, is ideal for exploration by means of pedal power. Other active pursuits in this part of Laos include kayaking or rafting amidst pristine nature.
FAMILY FUN IN LAOS (11 DAYS / 10 NIGHTS)
Traveling through Laos is an educational adventure for the entire family. Experience the local culture, meeting and interacting with friendly Lao families to better understand their lifestyles. Spend time in the great outdoors encountering Asian elephants and explore pristine landscapes unlike found back home.
- Explore Laos’ natural playground. Get adventurous in the great outdoors with a scenic trek to limestone caves, a jungle ride on the back of an elephant and swimming in turquoise waterfalls.
- Connect with local lifestyles. Meet friendly locals and join in daily activities to discover a way of life vastly different from the western culture.
- Enjoy family-friendly touring. Every day brings a new experience so that the little ones do not get bored and hotels are carefully selected to please both adults and kids.
LUANG PRABANG ON THE KIDS PATH (6 DAYS / 5 NIGHTS)
Discover Laos from a unique point of view. Take in the sights, sounds and culture via immersive experiences designed with kids in mind. Play sports with local residents, meet face-to-face with Asian elephants and connect with the rich culture of Laos in rural villages.
- Explore Luang Prabang’s culture and heritage. Get to know the UNESCO World Heritage city of Luang Prabang through in-depth tours and interactive experiences.
- Spend a day with the elephants. Travel to the banks of the Nam Khan River and encounter Asian elephants in their natural habitat.
- Experience local life. For a deeper understanding of Lao culture, spend a day with farmers in the countryside, play petanque with families and join a traditional blessing ceremony.
DEFYING THE CLIFFS IN VANG VIENG (5 DAYS / 4 NIGHTS)
Vang Vieng’s rugged landscape beckons adventure-lovers to explore its stunning rivers, mountains and caves. Paddle, trek, cycle and abseil through these vibrant, unspoiled sceneries. Reconnect with nature and take pleasure in the simple rhythms of life in the Laos countryside.
- Zip line adventure. Fly through the forest amid towering tree canopies and over waterfalls with a zip line adventure in Vang Vieng.
- Camp under the stars. Trek to a mountain face with stunning views and spend the night sleeping under the stars.
- Cycle to spectacular caves. Pedal through lush rice paddies to limestone caves with hidden chambers and clear swimming holes.
Get it touch
Take adventage of